Thursday, August 8, 2013

Kate & Judy: A Glorious Pairing I Never Thought Of


There are pairings in films that make me ridiculously excited, and this is one of them.  Remember when Kate Winslet won an Oscar for The Reader?  If I ask you to name me a movie that she was in after that, would you be able to?  No, you wouldn't because she is finally getting back to work. 

In addition to Jason Reitman's Labor Day (out later this year), Winslet will next appear in The Dressmaker, a "stylish revenge dramedy" that centers on the relationship between a mother and daughter.  Winslet will star as Tilly Dunnage, a couturier who returns to her provincial hometown after being accused of murder many years ago.  She must face the demons of her past, but she also is looking to amend the relationship with her eccentric mother, Molly.  Now here is where it gets even better.  Molly will be played by Judy Davis. 

The clouds parted and decided to give this guy something amazing to look forward to.  Winslet is one of my favorite actresses, and I have always believed that Davis doesn't get enough major work.  The last time we saw Davis was in last year's dreadful To Rome with Love, and before that she was featured in The Break-Up and Marie Antoinette.

I already want to pick this up to read.
 
Can you imagine the costumes in this?  Ahhhhhh!!!

Austrailian director Jocelyn Moorhouse said The Dressmaker, which begins filming in 2014, is like "Unforgiven with a sewing machine."  I am so there.

No comments:

Post a Comment