Monday, August 19, 2013

Trailer Tracker: 'Glee' Boy Edition


I am a bit hesitant to post this, and I don't know why.  Two alumni of Fox's Glee (Cory Monteith and Jonathan Groff) have upcoming movies, and the trailers dropped late last week.  I am a bit surprised that the cast members of Glee haven't really broken into big movies by now.  Jane Lynch has always acted in films, and she continues to do so.  Same goes for Jayma Mays, even though her career choices are highly questionable.  Lea Michele has also had a few supporting roles, but none of them (especially the guys) have really been front and center.

McCanick stars David Morse as the title character, a narcotics detective hunting down a young drug addict named Simon Weeks (Monteith).  Weeks knows something about McCanick's past, and McCanick tries to track him with the help of his incredibly hot partner, Mike Vogel.  Everything is better with Vogel, if you ask me.  If anything, he ups the pretty quotient.

      

Perhaps it's Monteith's recent passing that makes me feel weird while watching the trailer.  You never see his character say anything, but it's obvious that his character is in trouble.  Was it a conscious decision to not use a lot of him?   His name is listed second under David Morse's near the end of the trailer.  It's still weird to see him on screen after his death.  


Jonathan Groff stars in C. O. G., a comedy about a young man who discovers himself in the unlikliest of places.  I think this has one of the worst titles of the year, but, hey, what do I know.  It is adapted from a short story by David Sedaris, and I think it's weird that none of his stuff has been made into a feature before.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised, though.  Judy Blume's Tiger Eyes (out this year) is the only work of hers to be made into a movie.

Groff plays David, a smart-ass Yale graduate who decides to spend the summer after graduation in "the real world," and he accepts a job at his friend Jennifer's apple farm.  Jennifer unexpectedly leaves David, and he must work there for the remainder of the summer by himself.  The film co-stars Corey Stoll, Denis O'Hare, and Dale Dickey.


I am thrilled to see Stoll (Midnight in Paris' Ernest Hemingway) as a blue-collar worker, and I think the movie looks like it could be a lot of fun.  Note to Glee co-star Chris Colfer: I can already tell I am going to like Groff's unlikable lead character.  Your role in Struck by Lightning could have used some of Groff's already present humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment