Sunday, January 11, 2015

Golden Globe Predictions--Part Deux!


Ah, the Golden Globe Awards--the drunk cousin of the Academy Awards. I love the Globes because she's looser and a lot more fun than her golden counterpart, the Oscar. Celebrities get drunk and hosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler provide us with a fun evening. Here's hoping that the Hollywood Foreign Press somehow wrangles them to emcee more awards shows. 

I'm much more obsessed with the Oscars, so I tend to be a lot more risky in my predictions for the Globes. My fellow AwardsDailyTV contributors and I predicted the television categories, and you can check them out here.


Best Picture - Drama - Part of me thinks that The Imitation Game will pull out a win here. The film is this big, looming threat, and, if it scores big somewhere, it will be at the Globes. But can Imitation win without a director nod? Selma could pull out a win here (especially if it wins Director), but Boyhood will probably continue its award dominance. 

Best Picture - Musical or Comedy - How great would it be if Pride pulled out a surprise here? A few days ago, it was reported that Into the Woods was named the winner of this category on the HFPA website, but can anything really beat Birdman? I think not. 


Best Director - Richard Linklater isn't the flashiest winner, so I think it comes down to Ava DuVernay for Selma or Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu for Birdman. Inarritu won this category years ago for Babel, but that was for the Drama category--directors don't usually win here for a film in the "comedy" category. If DuVernay pulls out a win here, she will be the first female director to win Director since Barbra Streisand in 1983 for Yentl. I've been going back and forth between these two, and I am going to go with Inarritu. Just barely. But who knows; Linklater could just win and blow my theory right out of the water.

Best Actor - Drama - With Michael Keaton competing in the Musical or Comedy category, it will be easy for Eddie Redmayne to win for his portrayal of Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything. The Actor category is going to be ridiculously fun to watch this year. 


Best Actress - Drama - Okay...I am saying this now. I think Julianne Moore will win for Still Alice BUT I will not be surprised if Jennifer Aniston takes it for Cake. Aniston is incredibly well liked, and Moore's votes could split between her other nomination (Actress in a Musical or Comedy for Maps to the Stars). I am emotionally prepared...I think...we shall see where the evening goes...breathe...breathe...

Best Actor - Musical or Comedy - No one is going to beat Michael Keaton. 

Best Actress - Musical or Comedy - It's interesting that Actor M/C is so tied up while this one is up for grabs. Clarence pointed out that the HFPA loved Maps to the Stars (something I didn't know), so I would accept Julianne Moore pulling a Kate Winslet as a late birthday present. The sun's not going to come out for Quvenzhane Wallis for Annie. Helen Mirren isn't going to take it for The Hundred-Foot Journey (I liked that movie a lot more than everyone else did). Are they going to give it to Emily Blunt for a movie that's more universally praised and awarded, or are they going to give it Amy Adams the second year in a row. Part of me says that if Adams can win for American Hustle, she can win for tying her shoes, but I have to go with Blunt. Put Adams' performance against just Blunt's "Moments in the Woods" and there's no contest in my eyes. 


Best Supporting Actor - J.K. Simmons will win for Whiplash. Cue the sound of me taking a shot. 

Best Supporting Actress - Here's my ballsy prediction of the day (that I will surely regret later). Meryl Streep edges out Patricia Arquette. Arquette has been winning nonstop for Boyhood, and I want her to win (she was nominated for 3 consecutive years for Medium). Streep has 8 other Globes, and she's great in front of a microphone. Do I think Streep has a win of winning the Oscar? No, but she might win here. 

Best Screenplay - Birdman. Is this starting to look like a sweep?

Best Animated Film - It should be The Boxtrolls, but it will be The Lego Movie.


Best Foreign Language Film - Ida has been winning everything, and I don't know jack. 

Best Original Score - That drum beat from Birdman is hard to forget, and it's ineligible for the Oscar. Look out for Theory of Everything or Gone Girl


Best Original Song - How the living hell could the HFPA leave "Lost Stars" off their nominees list?! It's the most heartbreaking number of the year, and it's not even nominated. It's going to be "Glory" by John Legend and Common, but if Lorde or Lana Del Rey wins, I might throw my television off the balcony.

No comments:

Post a Comment