Tuesday, January 27, 2015

I'm Definitely Gonna Call Kate McKinnon


Let's get one thing out of the way right now: if you don't think an all-female Ghostbusters is a good idea, just move along. I am sick of people (mostly guys) complaining that they are messing with a classic film. If I can sit through the barrage of superhero crap, you can settle for a reboot of a successful franchise.

The news broke earlier today as to which quartet of funny ladies would appear in Paul Feig's Ghostbusters reboot. Not only did he cast frequent collaborator Melissa McCarthy and Bridesmaids star Kristen Wiig, but be snagged two current Saturday Night Live cast members: Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones. While I am pumped for the entire project, the inclusion of McKinnon has me the most excited. I recently declared her my favorite cast member on the AwardsDaily TV Water Cooler Podcast, so this news is especially exciting for me. 

A while back, I made a list of actresses that Feig should have considered, but that was way before I was familiar with the majesty of Kate McKinnon. She's the best character actress that SNL has to offer right now, and she can definitely hold her own against anyone in the current cast. McKinnon is the Meryl Streep of weird, sometimes-heavily-accent characters. It's also very obvious that she doesn't care about looking like in idiot--see the Jim Carrey "Chandelier" parody. 


It's also very exciting that Feig included Jones, a recently added SNL cast member. She can be brash and blunt, and it obviously helps that she can probably tower over the other girls. 


While some of the hardcore Ghostbusters fans seem to have a problem with the ladies in the reboot, I am going to focus on the idea that I do love: Kate McKinnon. If you need to be swayed, check out any of her sketches. She had me with her bulging eyes and her unapologetic tenacity. 



No comments:

Post a Comment