Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Happy Birthday Matt Damon!


Matt Damon (formerly of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck) is one of our most dependable and versatile actors. To me, he always delivers--whether he's trying to save the world in Elysium or make chalk appear on a chalkboard in Good Will Hunting. Okay, maybe I just have a giant crush on him. Damon always seemed like a genuine nice guy, so I don't accept anyone's alleged dislike for him. He turns 44 today.  

If I had to pick a favorite Damon performance I would probably have to go with his turn as slippery serial killer Tom Ripley in The Talented Mr. Ripley. It's probably a cliched choice, but not very many actors would have played Ripley at that point in their careers. Damon just won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay for Hunting, and 2 years later he starred in Anthony Minghella's sophisticated thriller. It might have been the first time I saw a gay person portrayed on the big screen--even though he, you know, killed people. 

And then there was the neon green bathing suit on the beach early in the film...


Aaaaaand the bathtub scene between him and Jude Law...


Yeah, yeah, it's in French...still sexy...

Now that I think about it, Damon is in bathing suits a lot...


 

So, Happy Birthday, Matt Damon! Hope you are in your birthday suit today as much as you were in bathing suits in your movies!

1 comment: