Friday, November 8, 2013

I Mean, I Kind of Volunteer as Tribute: Hunger Games Theme Park?


I'm not really sure how I feel about this. 

The Hollywood Reporter  announced that Lionsgate has "been approached about two different territories" for a Hunger Games theme park.  Ex-squeeze-me?  How is that going to work?  Are you lifted up in a tube and then have to kill other vistors of the park?  I have a bad knee!  I can't run!  I can barely make myself a peanut butter sandwich in the morning without injury, and now you expect me to participate in some games?!  What in the name of Plutarch Heavensbee do you expect me to do?!  

All right, I'm sure that there is a lot of developing to be done here.  Aren't we moving a tad too fast, though?  Yes, the Hunger Games trilogy is huge, but there is only one movie.  The other three are bound to make a bajillion dollars, sure, but a theme park?  The young adult world in the young adult franchise is so successful because of the characters, not the world they live in.  Panem is oppressive and scary--not the place I want to pay admission to trade squirrel pelts for bread at The Hob.  The world of Harry Potter is completely immersive, so a theme park makes sense.


I could take an archery lesson, sure.  I could perhaps get a makeover at The Capital, why not?


If you could guarantee that I could take a chariot ride (like the one pictured above) with Peeta, I would say, "How much are tickets?"  That's what it would take.  Get me some time with the boy with the bread and we'll talk.



No comments:

Post a Comment