Thursday, February 7, 2013

Whaddya know? Rex Reed is Still a Dick.

I know what you're thinking.  I thought Ernest Borgnine died...

Well, New York Observer film critic Rex Reed should have gone to the buffet like he intended, because he just would up putting his foot (nay, his whone leg) in his mouth.  

To put it mildly, Mr. Reed didn't like the new Jason Bateman-Melissa McCarthy comedy Identity Thief.  He couldn't muster up the creativity to write an actual review of the movie and decided instead to insult McCarthy's size. Referring to her not only as "tractor-sized" and a "hippo," Mr. Reed goes on to say the following:

"Melissa McCarthy (Bridesmaids) is a gimmick comedian who has devoted her short career to being obese and obnoxious with equal success. Poor Jason Bateman. How did an actor so charming, talented, attractive and versatile get stuck in so much dreck?"


Remember when Reed started the rumor that Marisa Tomei didn't actually win the Oscar for My Cousin Vinny?  Anyone?  Of course you do!  I'm convinced that Marisa is so traumatized by this teasing that she is nervous every time a Best Supporting Actress envelope is opened.  

I am not expecting much of Identity Thief (Cha, I'm seeing it!), but I will go because I love Jason Bateman's Everyman, adorable-ness.  I will also go because Melissa McCarthy is comedically reliable.  Even if you don't think she's particularly funny, you have to admit that her presence makes you feel warm and comforted.  

You CANNOT tell me that this isn't a wonderful picture!


So you know what, Ms. McCarthy?  You keep being plump and hilarious.  They called Rosie O'Donnell zaftig and people still loved her.  And if the previous sentence was too shaky of an argument for you, you always have this picture of Rex Reed:

Oh, I'm sorry sir.  The auditions for La Cage aux Folles were last week...soooorrrrryyyy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment