Wednesday, April 10, 2013

In Space No One Can Hear You Squeal


I loved me some District 9 when it came out in 2009.  The final image of that movie still breaks my heart.  Director Neill Blomkamp's second feature, Elysium, stars Matt Damon and Jodie Foster and comes out this August.  That sound you hear is me squealing in my chair.

The trailer that dropped yesterday doesn't give us a lot of plot, but hopefully a second trailer will debut later this summer.  Set in 2154, the elite live on a man-made space shuttle known as Elysium, while the rest live on an over-populated, ruined Earth.  Everyone is desperate to leave, but one ordinary man named Max (Damon) sets a plan into motion.  That's pretty much all the trailer gives us.  That and a lot of flying ships and District 9-y cinematography.


I think Matt Damon is one of our finest actors (I just mentally declared him as my favorite), and it is always great to see Jodie Foster on screen, especially with a scowl and a short haircut (which is more severe, I don't know!).  Her role as a government official with anti-immigration views promises some good stuff.  District 9's Sharlto Copley co-stars.

"Stop talking about Nim's Island!!!"

If the movie is a letdown, I will at least have a muscled Matt Damon to get me through it.  For me, this could be this summer's Prometheus (come on, you were excited too!) when it comes to anticipation.  We all know how that turned out.  In the mean time, let's have Damon's manliness keep us company.




Talk about District FINE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment