Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Firth Leaves 'Paddington', Joins Johansson for Drinks


Entertainment Weekly has just announced that Colin Firth has left the production of the live action version of Paddington.  It's rather odd that Firth left the production considering that the movie comes out in December, but it isn't unprecedented.  Scarlett Johansson replaced Samantha Morton in last year's Her (EW also has a nice run down of other examples of actors having to bow out).

In a statement, Firth said, "After a period of denial, we've chosen 'conscious uncoupling.'"  I for one am a bit sad, because Firth's voice is rather soothing, and I thought that his tones might calm me from some of the disturbing Paddington promotional shots.  No word on who is set to replace Firth, but director Paul King assured everyone that a decision will be made in the next coming weeks.  Firth's full statement is below.

"It's been bittersweet to see this delightful creature take shape and come to the sad realization that he simply doesn't have my voice.  I've had the joy of seeing most of the film, and it's going to be quite wonderful.  I still feel rather protective of this bear, and I'm pestering them all with suggestions for finding a voice worthy of him."

To hear Firth grunt as Paddington, watch the teaser below:



No comments:

Post a Comment