Friday, December 6, 2013

I Get Good Grades, I Go To Church--I'm a Cheerleader! Now You're a Musical!


How the eff did this slip by me?!  But I'm a Cheerleader is being turned into a musical!!!  This movie was begging to be adapted into a big, gay, romp, and I am super excited.  Yes.  A movie is being made into a musical, and I am thrilled!

Cheerleader centers on a high school girl named Dawn who is confronted by her family and friends because they think she is a lesbian.  The intervention scene alone is going to make a great production number.  The film starred Natasha Lyonne, Cathy Moriarty, RuPaul, and a pre-Oscar nominated Michelle Williams.  Dawn is then sent to True Directions, a sexual identity rehabilitation center where she meets other girls like her and falls in love with Clea DuVall. 



As a queer little boy growing up, I was happy to see Rufio (Dante Basco) playing gay as one of the boys sent to True Directions.  RU-FI-OHHHH!  Indeed!  Eddie Cibrian plays Rock, the True Directions caretaker and son of the wingnut, conservative proprieter of the rehab center.  Hagrid he is not, and that's a-ok. 

Cheerleader is candy-coated and hilarious.  It's actually really sweet as well.  If you haven't see it yet, you need to check it out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment