Monday, May 6, 2013

'Jurassic Park' Holds Up After 65 Million Years On My Bookshelf


I think I am the last person to see Jurassic Park 3D

I distinctly remember seeing Jurassic Park when it came out in the summer of 1993.  My family and I were vacationing at Geneva on the Lake, and I thought taking in a movie was fun because we had never seen a movie while we were on vacation.  I was the tender age of 8 when this milestone came out in theaters.  My fiance and I saw it this past weekend, and, despite being one of my favorite flicks, I was surprised by how well it held up.


Seeing Jurassic Park in its original run is still one of the most vivid movie going experiences of my life.  It was one of the first PG-13 movies I ever saw (scandalous!), and I can still remember the ads on television.  When the T-Rex made his long-awaited debut, the theater went insane.  As the T-Rex attacked the car with little Lex and Timmy inside it, I distinctly remember the theater descending into complete pandemonium.  I was screaming like a giant baby, and I can recall a number of people (parents with little kids) leaving the theater for a few minutes.

Cue an 8 year old Joey wetting his pants...

That T-Rex scared the living shit out of me!  Actually, as I watched the latest 3D released version, it still kind of freaked me out.

Fuck this shit.  I surely would have been the first to go since I can't sit still as it is. 

I hate 3D.  Everyone should hate it, as a matter of fact, but I didn't really mind it while watching Jurassic Park.  I was so enamoured with the movie that I forgot that I was watching it in 3D after a certain point.  This movie should be seen on the big screen, especially if you haven't seen it since you were a little kid.  I've caught the movie on television a few times, and I have watched it at home with friends, but there is nothing like watching the original Park in a theater to remind you of how good it really is. 

My fiance and I were talking about it in the car on the way home, and he remarked that if the movie were made today that it would be all CGI effects and nothing would have been done practically.  Imagine if they released this film in July of 2013.  It would be total crap.  The effects would look similar to those in Jack the Giant Slayer.  Even if you look at this trailer for the entire Jurassic Park Trilogy, you can tell the effects from the third installment are hokey (as if that movie isn't hokey enough).


Our theater had a decent amount of kids in it (roughly the same age when I originally saw it), and I got a total kick out of their verbal reactions to the movie.  When Ellie Sattler restores the power in the park and the raptor jumps through the wall?  A kid in the same row lost his shit.  It was awesome. 

And the music!  The MUSIC!  John Williams was knee-deep in his own saccharine glory when he did the score for that movie, and it is one of the most memorable to me.  Bum bum!  Bum bum!  Ba ba ba ba ba ba baaaaaaa!!!  You know what I'm talking about!  Embrace it!


They should really re-release crowd pleasing movies in order to find a new audience.  When we left that theater this weekend, kids were jumping up and down with their parents, because they loved it so much.  I am not enouraging studios to release all their classic films in 3D with open-ended runs, but a milestone like Jurassic Park deserves to be seen the way it was meant to be seen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment