Monday, May 20, 2013

Squeal Like A Miss Piggy?


I don't know about the average person, but I haven't been able to sit through all over Deliverance, the 1972 classic (infamous?) thriller.  It's basically every Republican senator's nightmare. 

As I leafed through this past Friday's art section from the New York Times, I found it odd (funny even) that Black Rock featured an ad that exclaimed, "Deliverance For Girls!"  Black is about three estranged female friends who find themselves being hunted by a small group of men on a small island.  A camping trip gone wrong, if you will.


I find this to be a particularly bad quote.  If you are trying to pull in younger women to see your flick, I wouldn't suggest that your movie is just as a good time as Deliverance.  It's kind of like saying, "This new Tom Hanks movie will make you just as sad as Sophie's Choice!" or "Girls can get raped in the back woods too!"  Perhaps they were trying to hit the "fight for your life thriller" angle, but I think this is laughable.  Black was written by Mark Duplass and directed by his wife Katie Aselton (who also stars).  I think the trailer is oddly structured, but I will still see it. 

1 comment: