Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Gang of Stoners + Hermione Granger + Mayhem = A Rapturously Good Time!


This is the End is the most fun I've had all summer at the movies.  I've been pretty down on this summer's slate of movies, and that's because the movies haven't been all that memorable for me.  Yes, Star Trek: Into Darkness was awesome, but it's a standard action flick.  I am one of the few people who really liked The Great Gatsby, but, after multiple viewings, I am tapped out on dacadence.  This is the End is exactly what I wanted and needed this summer. 

The last movie that I remember getting exactly what I was promised was Zombieland.  I wanted a good zombie comedy, and, by jove, I got one!  The same goes for This.  I want a self-referential, frat boy apocalypse comedy, and I am happy to report that this movie delivered on every level for me.  You may be thinking that I am over-selling this movie, but I am not sure I could at this point.  You may tell me that you don't like actors like James Franco, Jonah Hill or Seth Rogen.  Trust me, I don't like Danny McBride either, but I didn't mind him in this because he plays the douche I assume he is in real life.  No, I'm not a stoner, but I find a comforting kinship with these guys.

Jay Baruchel, Rogen and the rest of the gang play themselves during a huge party thrown at Franco's new house.  Everyone is there.  Mindy Kaling is lusting after a coked-out Michael Cera and Emma Watson is rubbing elbows with the current crunchy kings of comedy.  Soon enough, their fun is interrupted by a giant sinkhole and people getting beamed into the sky by a heavenly blue light.  Most of the star-studded cast is killed off, and we are trapped in James Franco's house with most of the supporting cast of Knocked Up.  I could think of a laundry list of things worse than that.  


This movie is absolutely bonkers, and holy hell is it a good time.  Even if you hated everyone in it, you should at least check it out.  I guarantee you will laugh a little bit.  Just when you think they have gone far enough, they go even further.  I don't want to spoil too much, because I'm sure you've heard enough from friends or red band trailers online.  

Easily one of the funniest, and best, movies of the year.  That's all I will say.  


No comments:

Post a Comment