Tuesday, June 25, 2013

NOW You're Boycotting Your Movies, Jim Carrey?


Jim Carrey is distancing himself from his latest project, the Everyman superhero sequel Kick-Ass 2.  He announced on his Twitter recently that, after the tragedy of Sandy Hook, he cannot condone the amount of violence highlighted in his newest movie.  I think Carrey should also try to erase some of his filmography. 

I joke, I joke.  He should apologize for The Number 23.  And Me, Myself & Irene.  And The Incredible Burt Wonderstone.  Ok, I'm done. 

Here are Jim's tweets:



Growing up with Jim Carrey, I always found him loud and crude and yet very lovable at the same time.  I find his statements very ballsy considering that you don't hear very many actors speak out against something they have worked on.  He means no disrespect towards anyone involved with the film, but I wonder if he will be able to get away with not promoting the movie later this summer.  Carrey's star may have diminished over the years, but I bet Universal was banking on Carrey's presence to help give the R-rated film a boost at the box office.

Mark Millar, the creator of the graphic novel that the movies are based on, responded to Carrey's comments on his own website.  Millar begins by expressing his love of Carrey's other work, and he goes on to say that he respects Carrey's viewpoints on gun violence.  Near the end, though, he says the following:

"Our job as storyteller is to entertain and our toolbox can't be sabotaged by curtailing the use of guns in an action-movie.  Imagine a John Wayne picture where he wasn't packing or a Rocky movie where Stallone wasn't punching somone repeatedly in the face.  The audience is smart enough to know they're all pretending and we should instead just sit back and enjoy the serotonin release of seeing bad guys meeting bad ends as much as we enjoyed seeing the Death Star exploding."


I remember when I saw the first Kick-Ass and I was legit taken aback by Chloe-Grace Moretz's character, Hit Girl.  The stuff coming out of her mouth made me blush, and that little girl is unapologetically packing some serious heat.  I remember really enjoying the movie, though.  I thought it was kind of daring and extreme.  I am sure that the bar will be raised, and even more blood will fly in the second installment.  We will see in August. 

I do look at violence in films different after Sandy Hook and Aurora, Colorado.  Carrey, always the outrageous actor, took a bold move and put his foot down.  We will have to see if this gets any bigger.  But, seriously, Jim.  Mr. Popper's Penguins

1 comment:

  1. I say good for him for expressing his thoughts on the matter in a pretty toned down and respectable way considering who it's coming from. However, that said, I do agree with Millar that when it comes to making action movies you can't start censoring because you don't trust the audience to know that it's fake. My take on uber-violent films has always been, if it's not your thing then don't see it!

    ReplyDelete