Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Sleight of Bland


I feel like a fuddy duddy, because I didn't really like Now You See Me, the new magician heist thriller.  The movie is making a lot of money, and I REALLY wanted to like it, but I didn't.  It felt generic to me, and the razzle dazzle fizzled.  

Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, and Dave Franco play four magicians who are thrown together by a mysterious benefactor, and, together, they become a huge Vegas sensation within one year known as The Four Horsemen.  During a show in Vegas, the Horsemen pull up a volunteer from the audience and transport him to a Paris bank (or did they?!).  At the end of their show, they then shower the audience with millions of dollars.  Suck on that, Danny Ocean!  An FBI agent (Mark Ruffalo) reluctantly teams up with an Interpol detective (Melanie Laurent) to find out if the illusionists are really pulling off elaborate heists, or if they are indeed performing some of the greatest (and most lucrative) magic ever to be seen. 


I think the movie winked at me too much, as if it knew it was clever.  "We're like Ocean's Eleven...with magic!!!"  By the end of the movie, it felt like it was based on the twist at the end.  I didn't care if any of the characters lived or died or pretended to live or die.  That's a shame because I love everyone in it, Ruffalo and Harrelson especially. 

I just wanted them to pull the damn rabbit out of the hat and get it over with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment