Tuesday, May 6, 2014

I Can't See Bruce Wayne's Parents Get Shot Again. Enough.


The trailer for Fox's new series Gotham dropped last night during 24: Live Another Day.  The ambitious prequel drama received a full season order for the fall, and the trailer gives us glimpses at some of the familiar characters from the Batman universe.  Not only do we get to see Ben McKenzie as  Detective John Gordon, but we get to see a young Bruce Wayne.  And Bruce Wayne sees his parents get shot.  Again.  

The death of Bruce's parents is integral to his story, yes.  You can't tell the story of Bruce Wayne and leave out the scene where his parents get shot.  But I am so sick of seeing it.  It feels like it's been dramatized to death, and the power of the scene is completely lost anymore. 

A young David Mazouz as Bruce Wayne



 Gotham isn't about Bruce Wayne becoming Batman.  Gordon is an idealistic detective who must navigate his way through Gotham's seedy underbelly, including mob bosses and burgeoning villains.  Kind of like Batman: The Middle School Years.


 



Taking such a well-known universe and turning it on its head is interesting.  I just wished they hadn't shown that sequence again.  I'm sure all the fanboys are going to yell at me, and they will tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about.  Oh well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment