Friday, September 13, 2013

Seth MacFarlane Presents: Lazy Marketing Strategies!

.

This really shouldn't bother me, but it does.  Fox's new comedy, Dads, debuts this Tuesday.  We have all seen the promos and heard the racist allegations, but what you may not have heard/seen is the lazy marketing!



In all the ads I've seen, the title of Dads (dads?) is in lowercase, green lettering.  I couldn't put my finger on why this looked oddly familiar.  As the controversy piled on, I kept seeing print ads and television promos featuring the blazing green letters.  Suddenly, I remembered!     


The same font and colors were used in all the ads for Seth MacFarlane's directorial debut Ted, which came out last year.  In Ted, Mark Wahlberg played a stoner who had to choose between his talking teddy bear and his girlfriend.  Straight-white-boy-growing-pain-drama ensued.  Dads is about two successful friends (Seth Green and Giovanni Ribisi) whose fathers (Martin Mull and Peter Riegert) move in with them.  Age difference antics are bound to ensue, right?! 

First of all, I didn't know Seth Green was still alive, let alone still getting work.  Second of all...well, I don't really have a second of all, but the show looks awful.

Dads is produced by MacFarlane, so I guess they thought the same font and colors would make people thing Dads is going to be just as fun as Ted.  That, or someone forgot to change their settings on their Microsoft Word.  Yes, I know that MacFarlane isn't directly responsible for this.  Yes, I know that this is something that was probably strategically thought up to lure in an immature, male audience.  Yes, I know this post is kind of ridiculous.  But it's bugging me.  It looks lazy to me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment