Monday, August 12, 2013

Am I the Only One Hesitant About 'Maleficent'?


I keep seeing more images released for the Angelina Jolie-starring Disney villain origin story Maleficent, and I am wary.  Sleeping Beauty is one of my all-time Disney favorites.  The music!  The drrraaaammaaa!!!  I don't care that it features one of the most boring princes in the history, because it had one fierce villain.

Female villains (villainess?) almost interest me more than male baddies.  Perhaps it's because women (especially in the animated Disney-verse) are supposed to be sweet and beautiful and represent good.  Beauty was on constant play in my VCR when I was a kid.  I couldn't get enough of it.  Was it because three fairies (Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather, respectively) constantly fought over the color of Aurora's dress?  Well, partly.  For the record, I always wanted it to be pink--example 7845 of my blatant homosexuality displayed directly in front of my parents.  To this day, I attest that Maleficent is one of the best Disney villains of all time--male or female.  She is like the RuPaul's Drag Race contestant that never was.


Angelina Jolie's Maleficent made a splash this past weekend at D23, the Disney expo in Anaheim, California.  I admit that I have no idea what this movie will be like.  All we have seen is a bunch of pictures of Jolie with horns on her head.  She's a natural choice to play the part (beautiful, dangerous, etc.), and she told stories of accidentally scaring children on the set.  Read the funny quotes on Entertainment Weekly's site here

I sort of don't like the idea of the movie.  Maleficent is a great villain, so I just want Disney to leave it alone.  Or let the movie prick itself on a spinning wheel.  AND DIE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment