Monday, July 15, 2013

'12 Years a Slave': Thanks For Starting the Oscar Conversation


I was at rehearsal tonight relaxing when I came upon the trailer for Steve McQueen's 12 Years a Slave.  I don't mean to oversell it or anything, but I got choked up watching it.  The effing trailer!  How pathetic is that?!  Even if the movie is uneven, I figure it will get a slew of technical Oscar nominations, but those performances look passionate as hell.  I can't wait!!!

Chiwetel Ejiofor plays Solomon Northup, a free black man who is abducted and sold into slavery in the pre-Civil War era.  Michael Fassbender plays Edwin Epps, the man who buys Northup, and the cast is pretty impressive.  Paul Giamatti, Sarah Paulson, Paul Dano, Brad Pitt, Benedict Cumberbatch, Alfre Woodard.  Ejiofor has been around for years, but this might be the chance for him to really stand out (while we are here, check out Dirty Pretty Things...seriously).  



Fassbender has worked with McQueen twice before (Hunger, Shame).  He has turned in two great performances, so I am sure his villainous slave owner will be one to watch.  I bet Lupita Nyong'o will be one to watch.  There is a shot in the trailer where she steps between Ejiofor and Fassbender that made me slightly catch my breath.  


Is this the real deal?



No comments:

Post a Comment