Thursday, July 17, 2014

Elaine Stritch Dies at 89: Everybody Rise


My heart is broken by this news.  Elaine Stritch, that behemoth of stage and screen, has died at the age of 89.  

I could talk about her time on the stage (like in the original production of Company or her stint in the revival of A Little Night Music) or her acid-tongued turn as Alec Baldwin's mother on 30 Rock, but I wouldn't be able to do her justice.  It's much better to experience Stritch, because she was such a huge presence.  I never got the pleasure of seeing her on stage, but I've seen countless appearances.  She's bigger than life itself. 




I only wish that I had an ounce of the talent or the balls that this woman had.  If you haven't seen it already, you should definitely check out the documentary Elaine Stritch: Shoot Me.  It's just great.


I'll drink to that.  


No comments:

Post a Comment