Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Hit Me With Your Best Shot: Batman Edition


One of my all-time favorite series comes from Nathaniel Rogers' The Film Experience.  For Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Nat (along with a group of insightful peeps) talk about their favorite shots from a selected group of movies.  Hit Me is in its fifth season, and a variety of films have been talked about including Mean Girls, Mary Poppins, Ladyhawke, and Edward Scissorhands--just to name a few (you can check out all the entries here).  

For this go-around, TFE is talking about na na na na na na na na BATMAAAAN!!!  Any Batman, any time.  Holy lots of choices, Batman!  To be perfectly honest, I've always loved the original quadrilogy of the Caped Crusader's adventures.  Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is great (don't throw me into Arkham!), but I feel like there's only so much gloom and gravitas I can take.  The Dark Knight was one of my favorite films of 2008 (duh), but my favorite Batman movie has to be Batman Returns.  The reason I've always gravitated towards Tim Burton's second entry into the Batman canon is because of one woman: Michelle Pfeiffer.  

Sure, I could pick a shot of Pfeiffer being slinky and sexy.  Licking Michael Keaton's face or purring prior to an explosion almost topped my choices.  I re-watched Returns, and one image struck me like a truckload of kitty litter.  Here it is:


It's not the clearest shot, no, but here's why I love it.  The Selina Kyle transformation actually scared me at the tender age of 9.  For some reason, I thought one of the cats was going to get in the way and Selina was going to paw at it (hey...I loved cats...).  After she stitches up her infamous leather outfit, Selina proudly stands in the window of her apartment (HELL HERE blazing dangerously pink in the background like reclaimed female sexuality), and she reminds me of a cat in a pet store.  The shot is from far away, and Pfeiffer purrs the great line, "I don't know about you, Miss Kitty, but I feel...so much yummier."  It's like she's the cat that everyone was afraid to take home, and she's about to escape Gotham's most run-down pet establishment.

Hope you enjoyed!  Check back at TFE for everyone's takes.  There's 8 movies to choose from, so there should be some awesome choices.  

1 comment:

  1. Nice choice. I like your last line about the unwanted cat.

    ReplyDelete