Thursday, July 31, 2014

NOW a Warning?! 'Death Becomes Her' Came Out Today!


Ah, Death Becomes Her.  It's easily one of my favorite movies of all time, because it was one of the first things I saw Meryl Streep perform in.  By the time I discovered Death, I was already a big Goldie Hawn fan, so this was the motherload of all movies to a budding homosexual film lover.  Death Becomes Her came out 22 years ago today!

My mom loved watching this with me, and she definitely supported my multiple rentings of it from Prime Time Video back in good, ole Ellwood City.  I actually remember my mom saying, "Meryl Streep needs to do more comedies" and "Isabella Rossellini is SO.  BEAUTIFUL."  After Meryl's youth-obsessed Madeline Ashton drinks the potion and Rossellini warns her makes me laugh out loud every single time:


As I think of how much I love the movie, I can't help but think/wonder a few things:


1. Can someone please actually write the musical Songbird!?  I want that to play across community theaters all over this nation of ours.


2.  I want an update of Madeline and Helen's condition.  Can Meryl and Goldie at least do a quick reunion like Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis did with Thelma & Louise?


 

3.  Will I ever be as fierce as Rossellini's Lisle Von Rhuman?  Update: Never.  I've always wanted a robe with a collar that dramatic.  


4.  I've been wanting to do a shovel sword fight since I saw this movie.  Interested parties should get at me.


5.  In celebration of Death, we should all gaze upon the gorgeous photos featuring RuPaul's Drag Race winner Jinkx Monsoon as Madeline.  She joined up with fellow contestant Ivy Winters for some Mad-Hel inspired pictures, and it is still my favorite post-Drag Race photo shoot ever.  If they ever, EVVVER do a Death Becomes Her musical, Jinkx Monsoon needs to play Madeline on Broadway.  And the West End.  And on tour.  She'd be brilliant.  



So, raise a glowing glass vial of Lisle's potion in honor of Death Becomes Her.  This thing never gets old.  

No comments:

Post a Comment