Monday, October 21, 2013

The Colors! My God, the Colors!


I suddenly want to color in a coloring book.  Or paint the walls of my room.

The trailer for Wes Anderson's The Grand Budapest Hotel dropped last week, and I can't get the colors out of my brain.  I don't really like Anderson's movies.  The spontaneity isn't there for me, and everything is so planned out and organized in them that it drives me nuts to a certain point.  Hotel looks delightful though.  The poster makes me hungry for cake right off the bat so the movie is doing something right from the get-go in my opinion.  

Ralph Fiennes plays Gustav H, a concierge at the Grand Budapest Hotel.  He is followed by a younger boy in training who wears a hat brandished with the title "Lobby Boy."  I don't think I have ever heard Fiennes speak so clearly.  Or maybe he just doesn't open his mouth that much when he speaks.  Fiennes always plays villains (Harry Potter, Schindler's List, Red Dragon) or morose dramatic roles (The Reader, The English Patient), so it is fantastic to see him running around in a dark purple tux with a pencil thin mustache.  I laugh out loud when he confesses that he has slept with women older than 85 years old. 


The colors are so rich in this teaser.  From the get go you have deep reds and lush purples. 





One of the stories in this movie concerns the death of Tilda Swinton's character, Madame D.  Interestingly, Madame D. is 85, and the role was originally supposed to be played by Angela Landsbury.  Why they went with Swinton (who is only 52) baffles me, but I am not going to question Swinton's choices.  In the picture above, she kind of looks like Frances Conroy.  





Hotel stars Anderson regulars Bill Murray, Edward Norton, and Jason Schwartman, and he welcomes Soairse Ronan, Jude Law, and Jeff Goldblum into his pristinely manicured landscapes.


No comments:

Post a Comment