Wednesday, September 3, 2014

By George, I Think She Tweeted It!


Damn you, Megan.  

My podcast partner in crime encouraged me to watch the pilot for ABC's seemingly vapid Selfie even though I was very resistant.  Personally, I couldn't get over the title and the promos that featured The Chainsmokers' Instagram anthem, but I think you'd like the show if you give it a chance.  

Karen Gillan plays Eliza Dooley, a social media vixen who wasn't always so hot.  When she was younger, she was voted "Most Butt" in high school (sheesh, where did she matriculate?), but she hit the gym hard and became the sexy, ambitious girl she is today.  Even though she's the top salesperson at the pharmaceutical company where she works, Eliza is insufferable to be around.  You know the type of person I'm talking about: phone raised, lips ducked, and tweeting like a madwoman. 


When Eliza realizes that her boyfriend is actually married, her shame spiral makes her realize that she doesn't have any friends that actually care about her.  She zeroes in on Henry Higgens, a marketing whiz who works at her company played by John Cho.  She begs him to give her a personality overhaul, but, naturally, Henry thinks she's a lost cause.  He eventually accepts, and Gillam and Cho have delightful banter together.  Cho has always been a solid, weirded out straight man to a crazier counterpart, so Eliza and Henry's chemistry should be a breeze for him.  

Eliza also convinces her neighbor Bryn (as well as Bryn's book club) to help her out with the physical part of her.  They break out into a rendition of Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance," and it's kind of sad that Eliza hasn't had the opportunity to feel the kinship between herself and a group of girlfriends.  

I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I wrote off Selfie so quickly.  It definitely has potential, and it is probably the show that you are rolling your eyes at whenever you see the title.  I definitely did.  Give it a chance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment