Monday, January 27, 2014

Hello Again, Can I Be a Friend of a Friend?


I was snowed in all weekend and I resigned myself to watching movies on my couch in a hoodie while my two cats kept me company.  Yesterday afternoon I popped in Scott Pilgrim vs the World, Edgar Wright's love letter to video games and the lovelorn dopes who play them.  As I watched the opening credits, I noticed Brie Larson's name mentioned alongside Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.  I had no idea she was in this video game paradise!  

Larson plays Envy Adams, the lead singer of hot band The Clash at Demonhead and former flame of Scott Pilgrim (Cera).  Envy was always one of my favorite characters, because she slinks in, enveloped in a white coat with a dramatic collar, and simultaneously curls Scott's toes and breaks his heart all over again.  Larson was obviously having fun with this part.  She's a purring mirage in a wall-to-wall geekfest.  


The movie is filled with music, but my favorite song is when The Clash at Demonhead take the stage in a surprise show to sing "Black Sheep."  Before the lights come up, Envy is growling and moaning much to Scott's chagrin.  The light hits her the second she starts singing, and she is singing directly to Scott.  

"Black Sheep" is an album only track on the soundtrack, and I was always too low on funds to buy the entire album.  I was super surprised to discover that Larson sings her own stuff on song.  After some obsessive online digging, I found out that she actually released an album titled Finally Out of P. E. back in 2005.  What the what?!  Larson had only been on my radar since she co-starred in 21 Jump Street with Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill.  I fell in love with her when I saw her in last year's Short Term 12.  I've been in love with Envy since 2011!  I obviously need to download her album the minute I get home.  Right?  

Check out Larson as Envy in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and try not to find her fabulous.  



No comments:

Post a Comment