Tuesday, January 28, 2014

You Won't Find 'The Babadook' at Barnes & Noble


Scary movies have ruined a lot of things for me: showers (Psycho), walking in the woods (Blair Witch), making Jiffy Pop (Scream), popping in a VHS (The Ring) Now I feel like I can't ever read a book to my kids.  Yes, I know I don't have any kids yet, but it looks like The Babadook will make me want to stick to Dr. Seuss.

Essie Davis plays Amelia, a woman still struggling to get over the death of her husband.  Amelia finds it difficult to discipline her son Samuel, a boy who is constantly out of control.  Samuel begins to have rather violent dreams, and a mysterious storybook appears on his bookshelf.  He is convinced that the monster in the book is coming to murder him and his mother.  I do not like it, Sam I am!!!  



The images in the book itself frighten me.  It's all black and white, and the starkness of it gives me goosebumps.  It seems as the trailer goes on, the color drains out of the scenes.  Maybe as the movie progresses, it does this too?  It just be how the trailer is cut.  



I am all about a horror thriller concerning a woman trying to prove she's not insane.  Davis seems to give an intense performance, so I am so there.  Creepy children, however, freak me out, so I might be a little wary of the little boy who plays Samuel.  The sound probably freaks me out the most (especially towards the end of the trailer), so fingers crossed for more scared-because-you-can't-see-anything thrills.  Check out the trailer!

No comments:

Post a Comment