Sunday, March 30, 2014

Afraid of My Guatemalaness? I Forgot How Much I Loved 'The Birdcage'


The hubby and I ventured to Miami last week to check out some apartments for when we move in June.  I had never been to Miami, and I was super nervous about the trip, because I've never lived so far from home before.  The day that we left, Jason was at a dentist appointment and he dropped me off at the mall so I could buy some new shoes.  I have a horrible habit of wearing shoes down until they have holes all over them.  After I bought some new footwear, I ventured into FYE to kill some time.  The first thing I saw when I walked in was a copy of The Birdcage, the Robin Williams-Nathan Lane drag-themed comedy.  I immediately bought it, because it was only $5 (how I didn't own this already was beyond me).  I also thought it would contribute to my Miami education. 

The man and I enjoying the beach.

I forgot how effing funny The Birdcage actually is.  There I was, relaxing on the couch on a Sunday evening, and I was laughing so loudly that I was afraid that I was going to wake up my roommates upstairs.  I don't think I've seen the movie in years.  How well do you know The Birdcage?  We all have seen it, right?  Perhaps there are some young people out there that have no idea what I'm talking about?  Here are some things I learned while watching it the last time!


Director Mike Nichols had to be placed under a sound blanket during this scene, because he was laughing so hard.


Hank Azaria created two voices for houseboy Agador Spartacus.  He was afraid he would come across too much like a stereotype, so he asked a gay friend who told him which voice to use.  I wonder if his servant voice in front of Gene Hackman and Dianne Wiest is the other one?


I have a feeling my husband thinks I'm just as dramatic.  Not a fact about the film.  Just an observation...



Grover's Corners, the town Mama Coleman says she hails from, is the town from Thorton Wilder's Our Town.  Guess some of my theater education fell through the cracks, because I sure as heck didn't remember that.  


My two favorite moments?  They might be cliche, but they are great and they happen to be from the same scene (Armand's onstage dance montage and Albert's "try more gum").  Nichols asked Nathan Lane and Robin Williams to do one take of every scene strictly sticking to the script.  After they got it in the can, they would do the scenes again, and Nichols would let Lane and Williams improvise as much as they want.  



No comments:

Post a Comment