Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Tonya Harding and Velociraptors


Bum bum bum bum BUM!!!  Bum bum bum bum BUM!!!

I was unreasonably excited when I found the Jurassic Park soundtrack for $1 at The Exchange today, and it reminded me of a particular moment from my childhood when dinosaurs and figure skating intersected.  To no one's surprise, I'm sure, I was very much embroiled in the Tonya Hardin/Nancy Kerrigan scandal of 1994.  Of course, I was a nancy that loved Nancy, and I tuned in for the Lillehammer Olympics like any other overjoyed, queer kid.  

As the Sochi Olympics played out a few weeks ago, I somehow stumbled upon skating videos on YouTube.  Too much white wine and figure skating, obviously.  When I started watching Tonya Harding's performance in the long program, I heard something I will never forget from the announcer: 

"She will be skating to the music...of Jurassic Park..."

These two worlds were meant to collide.  Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I think you and I are the only two people who think of Tonya Harding and Jurassic Park together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In high school, I'd drive around with my windows down blaring my Jurassic Park soundtrack. I was cool like that.

    I don't remember Tonya Harding skating to Jurassic Park. Sounds like something Paul Wylie would do.

    ReplyDelete